According to Apple’s support pages, purchasers of iLife ’08 who don’t meet the system specs for the new iMovie can download the iLife ’06 version. The Apple specs state the new version of iMovie won’t run on any non-intel laptop nor will it run on any G4 tower. The only non-intel machines that will be able to run it are G5s 2.0 Ghz or greater [which started showing up in April/May 2005] .
System specs for iLife ’08 –
* Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 processor.
* iMovie requires a Mac with an Intel processor, a Power Mac G5 (dual 2.0GHz or faster), or an iMac G5 (1.9GHz or faster).
* iDVD requires a 733MHz or faster processor.
* 512MB of RAM; 1GB recommended. High-definition video requires at least 1GB of RAM.
* Mac OS X v10.4.9 or later.
* 3GB of available disk space.
* DVD drive required for installation.
* QuickTime 7.2 or later.
* Other configurations may be supported. AVCHD video and 24-bit recording have additional requirements. Visit iMovie â€™08 Camcorder Support for more information on AVCHD.
* 24-bit recording in GarageBand â€™08 requires a Mac OS X compatible audio interface with support for 24-bit audio. Please consult the owners manual or manufacturer directly for audio device specification and compatibility.
* Burning DVDs requires an Apple SuperDrive or compatible third-party DVD burner.
* iPhoto print services are available in the U.S., Canada, Japan, and select European countries. Internet access required; fees and terms apply.
* iWeb requires Internet and web server access (.Mac recommended).
* Some features in iLife require .Mac. The .Mac service is available to persons age 13 and older. Annual membership fee and Internet access required. Terms and conditions apply.
System Requirements for iLife ’06 –
The minimum requirements for iMovie HD 6 are:
– A Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G4, G5, or Intel Core processor
– 256 MB of RAM; 512 MB recommended
– High definition video requires a 1 GHz G4 processor or faster and 512 MB of RAM
– Mac OS X 10.3.9 or Mac OS X 10.4.3 or later; Mac OS X 10.4.4 recommended
– Mac OS X 10.4.4 (or later) required for themes, real-time video effects, and audio effects